Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Creepy Crawlies

Like some bad bug horror movie, I came across this freakish looking bug on Sunday that had all these legs and it was moving at lightning speed across the floor while I was cleaning the house. I quickly used the broom as a weapon and hoped to never see such a thing again. No such luck!

We have shutters on all the doors and windows, which serve the purpose to keep your house cool in the summer and warm in winter. It is very dark when you come downstairs in the morning with all the shutters closed. I opened up the back door and shutter and turn around to find another of the alien-looking bugs in the corner where the wall meets the ceiling of the stairs. Frozen in horror, I stared at the ugly, striped bug not quite sure what to do. I didn't want to go off to get my broom-weapon and have it scamper off.

Running to retrieve the broom, I squatted and killed it. Just to be extra sure, I smashed the paper towel I picked it up in with my foot. Now, off to Google what this monstrosity might be!


It is the common house centipede, or Scutigera coleptrata, and apparently likes to hunt and feast on spiders and roaches. I haven't really seen any other bugs besides the flies and mosquitoes that come in every time I open my shutters, so the centipedes must be doing their job.

Either way, I don't want any of these creepy crawlies in my house. Tim betting be coming home with a big can of bug spray today. For now, I am craning my neck on the lookout for these on the walls, ceiling, and floors.

No comments:

Post a Comment